Monday 25 April 2011

Getting closer !!

At the first time of asking I have qualified to the weekly final on PKR.  1 in 21 win a WSOP package but unfortunately they only seem to ever get 15 or so.  That is a bit disappointing, I would prefer to try for the top 10 from 210 but obviously i'll be going at it 110%.

Now I have informed you that recently I have turned down two opportunities to coach poker players.  I think if I was going to coach, it would be for low to medium stake intermediate players.  I feel that I could teach additional skills and improve the players all round capabilities.  The reason I have turned these individuals down is solely because of my time consraints but then I was hit with a new conundrum. ---

I am always trying to impress on my eldset son (11) that it is probably beneficial for him to narrow down his choice of career as early as possible so he can work towards it as he goes through his studies. ----

April 22nd 2011 "Dad, I have worked out what I am going to be when i'm older"  "Nice one son, what are your plans" - "I am gonna be a poker player dad.  If I start practising now, imagine how good I would be and how much money I could make when I turn 18".
So, suddenly I am a coach after all.  Now my boy is no ordinary boy, he is top of all his classes at his primary school, was reading books I could not read now, at the age of 6 and is one determined boy.  I don't know how he is so academic, he certainly does not get it from me but hey.



 So in the first 3 days of his training he has read the NLH sections of an old Hellmuth book as well as Super System 2.  I have let him onto an old European site which I dont play on anymore and he promptly qualified through a freeroll to a larger tournament with some old points I had on there.  1700 people started that, $1300 to the winner and top 300 getting paid.  3 hours later 290th position and my boy makes his first cash for $5.90.  He then settles to play 3 x 10c Sngs's where he finishes 2nd, 3rd and nowhere, balance over $6.  Maybe I can retire soon.


Problem is, I have no idea, really, how to teach a complete beginner, when I write it on paper there is so much to pass forward but I will just overload him if I tell him it all straight away.  So do I let him play without all the skills or will that ingrain bad play in him which I wont be able to change later.  For now I think Forums, basic strategy videos, as much play as possible and some ghosting sessions with dad is the best way forward.  If anybody has taught a complete beginner from scratch, successfully, previously, please post some tips.

I am hoping to book my Vegas trip once we enter May and it is looking like it will be the first week of July to take in event 54 and some main event sats while the Deepstacks at the Venetian will also be rolling.  My profits on these other European sites has been slightly disappointing but the bonuses have helped.  I am looking forward to get back on Full Tilt tho.  My sharkscope there is so much better that the other sites.
Only four weeks of grind left before I go on holidays and relax with my family and switch off from poker for a while so I will try and put in some volume for the next four weeks and I will be adding some MTTs hping for a big score so I can stay somewhere nice.  Not fancying Imperial Palace now its getting close to booking it.  We will see.

No Americans have taken me up on my offer of coming to the UK to play here while the troubles there rumble on but the offer remains open.  I understand one of the Americans in question is going to the Bahamas.  I guess if you have a choice of the Bahamas or the UK the Bahamas will win everytime.
Good luck to you all -.

Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment